Join a Challenger
Being a traditional bank just isn’t our thing. We are big believers in innovating the banking experience because we believe Canadians deserve better options, and we challenge ourselves and our teams to creatively transform what’s possible in banking. Our team is made up of inquisitive and agile minds that find smarter ways of doing things. If you’re not afraid of taking on big challenges and redefining the future, you belong with us. You’ll get to work with people who will encourage you to reach new heights. We like to keep things fun, ask questions and learn together.
We are a big (and growing!) family. Overall we serve more than 370,000 people across Canada through Equitable Bank, Canada’s Challenger Bank™, and have been around for more than 50 years. Equitable Bank’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Concentra Bank, supports credit unions across Canada that serve more than 5 million members. Together we have over $100 billion in combined assets under management and administration, with a clear mandate to drive change in Canadian banking to enrich people’s lives. Our EQ Bank platform (eqbank.ca) has been named the top Schedule I Bank in Canada on the Forbes World’s Best Banks 2023, 2022, and 2021 lists.
EQ Bank Engineering Team has been advocating building best-in-class branchless digital banking experience to advance millions of Canadians’ personal financial goals since its inception. The team believes that the more agile and seamless banking features we build, the more wealth opportunities Canadians can unlock. Engineers in EQ Bank adopt the agile mindset to continually create, test, deploy, improve, and scale banking digital services. Our partnership with Wise, Nesto, Ratehub, Flinks, Borrowell, and Neo Financial has given us top-notch banking consumer insights, and therefore, these insights allow the Engineering Team to build a differentiated and unique digital banking platform. The team is on an 18-to-24-month transformational journey and ready to expand more banking features by growing double-digit team size to triple-digit. Join us to lead engineers on a transformational journey!
We’re evolving how we build and deliver software, and we’re looking for a Director, Engineering (Experience Platform) to lead and grow our teams! We’re looking for someone that will enable EQ Bank’s Challenger Bank aspiration: A banking platform to put the power in customers’ hands. Every feature we build is designed to give our customers an edge over their money to maximize their potential. You’ll use cloud-native technologies and product-centric agile methodologies with an emphasis on user experience to manage multiple cross-functional pods dedicated to launching new products, features, and ongoing business value for our digital banking clients.
Reporting to the VP, Digital Banking Product Engineering, you will have ownership and responsibility over the evolution our existing consumer experience platform into a modern, state-of-the-art micro-frontend architecture using foundational Azure Cloud, DevOps, API, and PaaS services to deliver dozens of production releases per month. You will lead and collaborate on strategic roadmap planning, build and manage a talented team of more than 50+ internal and external resources/suppliers, manage budget, vendor partners and suppliers, and be part of C-suite conversations about technology transformation for the Bank.
As Director, you will lead multiple teams through all areas of Agile Software Development and partner closely with Digital Banking Business & Operations, Product, and Engineering teams to prioritize and deliver outcome driven solutions. This will include quicker sprint cycles enabling MVP approaches and faster learning towards our customer goals and objectives.
- Drive forward our product-centric, agile aspirations and mentor team members in all aspects of agile software development.
- Direct accountability for the Experience Platform, including customer-facing web and mobile applications that focus on onboarding, activation, account setup, community, customer happiness and SMB.
- Responsible for the architecture design and development of a new micro-frontend system.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of customer experiences based on understanding of the company strategy and business objectives.
- Lead and mentor engineering managers to proactively manage and track sprints and provide transparency to all stakeholders, while increasing time-to-value for our customers.
- Work closely with cross-functional pods to coordinate QA strategy, release management and deployment activities.
- Drive and maintain a Technology Roadmap which includes future strategic objectives and technology-driven changes to maintain currency, capacity, and system health.
Your Knowledge & Skills
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience in leading cross-functional, agile teams of 30+ team members to deliver and support web and mobile customer experiences.
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical degree or equivalent experience is required.
- Proven experience leading cross-functional consumer-focused teams in the financial technology domain (card issuing, money movement, bill payments) is preferred.
- Knowledge of new and upcoming trend in fintech, payments and open banking is desired.
- Solid experience of web (Angular, React, Node) and mobile frameworks (Swift, Flutter, React Native).
- Experience with backend frameworks such as Spring is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in product-focused engineering roles such as Director, Senior Solution Architect, Senior Development Manager, Senior Technical Delivery Lead.
- You’re well versed in designing, implementing and maintaining Angular, React and/or micro-frontend architectures in a cloud native environment.
- Expertise rolling out and leading product-centric agile culture and managing cross-functional teams focused on delivered beautiful product and consumer experiences.
- Builder mindset and proven technical depth to lead and guide engineers to build modern micro-frontend systems.
- Exemplary interpersonal, and presentation skills with expert collaboration and customer-relationship skills with a proven ability to engage with all levels of the staff and management across multiple partner teams.
- Post-secondary or related technical degree or equivalent experience is required.
What we offer [For full-time permanent roles]
💰 Competitive discretionary bonus
✨ Market leading RRSP match program
🩺 Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability benefits
📝 Employee Share Purchase Plan
👶🏽 Maternity/Parental top-up while you care for your little one
🏝 Generous vacation policy, personal days and even a moving day
🖥 Virtual events to connect with your fellow colleagues
🎓 Annual professional development allowance and a comprehensive Career Development program
💛 A fulfilling opportunity to join one of the top FinTechs and help create a new kind of banking experience
The incumbent will be working hybrid and in office time will be spent working from Equitable Bank’s additional office space located at 351 King Street East, Toronto, ON.
Equitable Bank is deeply committed to inclusion. Our organization is stronger and our employees thrive when we honour and celebrate everyone’s diverse experiences and perspectives. In tandem with that commitment, we support and encourage our staff to grow not just in their career path, but personally as well.
We commit to providing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment for all applicants. Please let us know of any accommodations needed so that you can bring your best self to the application process and beyond. All candidates considered for hire must successfully pass a criminal background check and credit check to qualify for hire. While we appreciate your interest in applying, an Equitable recruiter will only contact leading candidates whose skills and qualifications closely match the requirements of the position.
We can’t wait to get to know you!