For a while now, you might have been seeing or hearing about Cover letters and resumes, but you don’t know how to write it. Many people ask this question: What can a cover letter explain that a resume cannot? It is really important that you learn how to write a cover letter because it boosts applications (for instance, job applications, loan applications). Some job applications would even require that you accompany your résumé with a cover letter, because it fills the gap that your résumé fails to fill. By the end of this article, you should be able to know What can a cover letter explain that a resume cannot?
What is a cover letter?
A cover letter is a kind of formal letter that introduces another document accompanying it (for instance, curriculum vitae). It is used as a tool of persuasion that one is most suitable or efficient for a particular post.
Now, you’ll learn the process of writing a cover letter. Like every other letters, a cover letter also has three parts: introduction, body and conclusion. You’ll learn what each of these parts entail, but before that, you should know these:
- You should include both your contact information and your addressee’s (your employer’s)
- You should find out the information of your employer, so you would avoid such salutation as ‘Dear Sir or Madam’. Your salutation should be something like ‘Dear Mr. Peter Parker’.
- Avoid Fancy fonts
- Avoid a lengthy cover letter.
- Avoid typo and spelling errors
- State the job you are applying for and how you got to know about the job
- State briefly about your background: your specialty and career goals.
- State that you are interested in the job and state why.
- (You can segment this into one or two or three paragraphs).
- Discuss your educational background briefly, your work experience, volunteer experience, skills and abilities.
- Explain how your past work experience and skills are relevant to the job you’re applying for and how it would help achieve the company’s goals.
What is a Resume?
SImply put, a resume is a one paged document that provides a summary of who you are , your experience and skills. It is completely different from a cover letter. You can find some example of of what a resume template looks like by using this etsy link
How to write a cover letter Reddit ?
Cover letter templates are preformatted and type cover letters that can be quickly edited and printed for use.
Designing a cover letter template that would fit perfectly with any application can be confusing and frustrating
Cover letters are rightly typed and formatted documents that prospective job seekers sent to hiring company and addressed to the hiring manager.
Why you must write a Cover in your job application
1. To introduce the applicant or job seeker to the hiring manager
2. To project your qualifications
3. To convince the hiring manager that you are the best person for the job
4. To explain why you will be a positive addition to the hiring company.
Regardless of your qualifications and the strength of your resume, a well-crafted cover letter can land you a dream job.
What are the four parts of a cover letter?
If you want to have unique cover letter templates you can edit quickly to fit different applications; this guide will help you in writing the best letter template.
1. Know the Person you are writing to
The first step in a perfect cover letter template is to know the hiring manager. Think about yourself being the hiring manager. How would you feel if somebody addressed you as “To whom it may concern”? or “Dear Madame or Sir”?
“Dear Madame or Sir” can make you look like an oldie from the year 1780, and “to whom it may concern” makes you sound unfamiliar with the company you are aiming to work with.
To avoid this kind of problem, do some research on the company through their website, LinkedIn, or better still, make a phone call to the company and ask for the name of the hiring manager.
2. Introduction of the Applicant
The first paragraph should begin with the applicant telling the company the position you are applying to and how you learned about the job opening.
Necessary information about the applicant should be stated briefly in the rest of the paragraph. Information needed here are; degree, the area of expertise/study, personal and career goals and how they align positively with the company goals.
3. Sell Yourself
Respond directly to the job description of the hiring manager in the second paragraph.
Explain in detail how your skills, abilities, previous job experiences, goals and personal attribute will enable you to meet the needs and goals of the company. Make it easier by including phrases and words from the job advert in your cover letter. Your cover letter template can be edited as occasion demand.
Go some extra mile and do research about the company, and find out what they are into, their records, their current state, and their stated goals. In the third paragraph, explain how you can fit into the schema, and how you can help the company to achieve the goals you think they have.
4. Make the Conclusion “Call to Action”
The final paragraph should be a “call to action”. Let the hiring manager know that you are highly interested in working with the company. Inform him that you would love to get an interview with the company. Thank the reader for spending the time to read your letter.
Should a cover letter be double spaced?
To answer this question, check out this Cover Letter Styling Guide:
Here are a few quick tips while styling your own:
1. 1” – 1.5” margins are always a safe bet: Be careful not to make the content look crammed together.
2. Don’t use any font below ‘12’ except is necessary: Fonts below 12 can strain the eyes
3. Single Font Style is Advised: Choose a unique font style throughout the document to make it look perfect and straightforward
4. Keep the alignment Uniform: Make sure all paragraphs are left-aligned.
State that you would love to be interviewed
Thank the employer for reading your letter
State that you would love to get a reply soon.
By now, you should be able to write a powerful cover letter to get you that job you so much deserve.